Victims Compensation Assistance Program

This program may be able to help by paying you back for money you owe or lost because of a crime. Compensation may be paid to you or others for:
  • Cash loss of social security, SSI or retirement benefits
  • Counseling
  • Crime scene clean-up
  • Funeral expenses, loss of support and travel costs in homicide cases
  • Home care/ childcare, and replacement services
  • Lost work earnings
  • Medical expenses
  • Relocation
Receiving Compensation
To receive compensation, you must:
  • Be a victim of a crime that happened in Pennsylvania
  • Cooperate with the police, courts, and the Victims Compensation Assistance Program
  • File the claim within two years of the crime
  • Have a loss of at least $100 because of the crime (if you are less than 60 years old)
  • Not be involved in illegal activity that caused the crime to happen
  • Report the crime or file a protection from abuse order (PFA) within three days, unless there is a good reason for not doing so or the victim is under 18
There are exceptions to the above requirements (especially if the victim is younger than 18 years old). This program will not reimburse you for pain and suffering or stolen or damaged property (except some medical items).

Filing a Claim
Remember, you or a family member may receive compensation even if you don’t meet all of the above requirements. To see if you may be eligible or for help in filing a claim, please contact the Victims Compensation Assistance Program at 800-233-2339.

The best way to file a claim is with the help of a victim advocate at Victim / Witness Services. Call 717-299-8048 for assistance. You can also file a claim online. There is no cost to file a claim.